Jozef Sekelji was a Hungarian author who composed Hungarian songs, wrote newspaper articles, and obviously was a cook.
This is one of my favorite meals. My mother cooked it often after we immigrated to the USA. It was usually served with bread dumplings, but also with steamed potatoes or rice.
Here is my mother’s recipe
1 large onion, peeled and choped
1 lb bacon, browned and fat discarded
2 Tbsp light oil
1 1/2 pounds lean pork, diced – or beef
2 Tbsp paprika
2 med. fresh tomatoes – seeded and skinned
2 pounds sauerkraut – preferably fresh or in a plastic package
1 small head cabbage – shredded
1 smoked ham hock
1/2 cup fresh sour cream + 2 Tbsp Shake and Blend flour
Salt to taste
2-4 cups beef broth…..or chicken brothRinse the sauerkraut and drain it. If it tastes too strong, rinse a second time. Squeeze gently and set it aside.
- Brown the bacon and drain it on paper towels and set aside
- Caramelize onions in a Dutch Oen with 3 Tbsp oil
- Add the pork and paprika then mix well. Cook the meat for about 5 minutes
4. Add the chicken broth, bay leaf, tomatoes and ham hock. Ham hock can be precooked and the broth can be used instead of stock.
5. Cover and cook the meat over low heat until it is just done.
6. Add the Sauer Kraut and the fresh hopped cabbage and mix it all together then cook another 30 minutes until the meat is very soft and starts to shred.
7. Salt should be added only at this point and if needed.
8. Spoon the Sekelji Gulas into bowls and add a dollop of sour cream with a sprig of fresh parsley on top of each serving.
Typically Semmel Knoedel, Bread Dumplings, or boiled potatoes are served with this meal. It freezes well.
Maja/Maria Reisz Springer
Unauthorized use, distribution, and/or duplication of proprietary material without prior approval is prohibited. If you have any questions or would like permission, I can be contacted via email at: email@example.com Feel free to quote me, just give credit where credit is due, link to the recipe, and please send people to my website, http://www.majaskitchen.com
Find me on:
If you have any questions drop me a note….
I will help in any way I can.